Pulled Pork Carnita Bowls! Arrrrrrriba!
Well, it goes without saying that these succulent pulled pork carnitas bowls were up there with our favorite (favourite for our British readers) recipes so far! The recipe was so easy to make and uses such high quality and yet simple ingredients.
Imagine this … taking 15 minutes in a morning to prepare this delicious meal before you leave for work, then coming home, smelling the sumptuous spices floating around the room and having it ready to eat as soon as you step through the door.. Where do I sign up?! So without further ado..
- 2 pounds pork (we used pork butt)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mild salsa verde (I use Herdez in the jar)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Hot sauce to taste
- Rub pork with olive oil and place in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add all of the remaining Slow Cooker ingredients except for the hot sauce. Cook on high for 2-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours or until pork is tender enough to shred.
- Remove pork to a cutting board, and let rest 5 minutes before shredding (there will be a lot of liquid remaining). Return shredded pork and let cook on low for an additional 20-30 minutes to absorb some of the liquid/juices. Drain excess liquid before serving or use tongs to remove shredded pork. Taste and add more honey for sweeter, lime for more tang, hot sauce for spicier.
- For our carnitas bowls we added romaine lettuce, chopped tomato and red onion and then garnished with some good old guacamole dip! (We will post how to do this in the coming days!). If you prefer, you could have this with some brown rice, wholegrain tortillas, quinoa or some sweet potato fries, however we love how the fresh salad compliments the dish.